Lindsay Edward Fox was born on 19 April 1937 in Sydney, Australia and went to school in Melbourne at Prahran State School and Melbourne High School.
The son of a truck driver, Lindsay left school at the age of 16 and bought his first truck (a 1957 Ford F500) when he was 19. Today, Linfox is one of the largest Australian based transport and warehousing groups with operations in 10 countries.
Linfox employs more than 24,000 people, operates almost 5 million square metres of warehousing, a fleet of more than 5,000 vehicles and carries out distribution operations for leading companies across the Asia Pacific region.
Lindsay has extensive involvement in Australian and international circles and apart from his business interests is well recognised and active in sport and charity work.
Some of his roles include:
- Founder, Fox Group Holdings Pty Ltd
- Patron of Healthy Heads in Trucks & Sheds Foundation
- Patron of Asialink
- Honorary Board Member for the Committee for Melbourne
- Patron–in–Chief of the Royal Australian Army Transport Museum Committee
- In January 1992 he was awarded an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO) for his contribution to Transport and the Community
- In January 2008 he was awarded a Companion of the Order of Australia (AC) for continued service to the transport and logistics industries, to business through the development and promotion of youth traineeships, and to the community through a range of philanthropic endeavours.
From September 1992 to December 1993, Lindsay Fox together with Bill Kelty of the ACTU introduced a national campaign called ‘Work for Australia’. This campaign encouraged companies and local communities to generate jobs for the unemployed with the aid of Government subsidies and programs.
Upon conclusion, over 60,000 jobs were pledged through their efforts and Lindsay and Bill were awarded ‘Victorians of the Year’ by the Sunday Age. The success of this campaign set the foundations for NETTFORCE.
Lindsay married Paula Grace Peele in 1959 and they have six children, Lisa, Peter, Katrina, Andrew, Michael (dec), David and 14 grandchildren.